Calling your LP the Album of the Year creates a very high standard to live up to, but Detroit native Black Milk not only seems to happy to craft sky high expectations, but delivers a single that helps back up his boasting. On Welcome (Gotta Go), the producer/emcee crafts a ferociously spooky instrumental (think Michael Myers meets Kanye) that features haunting background vocals and somber lyrics to match. Sporting a dense, action-packed flow that weaves its way in and out of the beat smoother than a serpent, Milk is lyrically dressed to impress as he tears thorough this track like a a college rejection letter with lines about “It’s just business/ it feels good now/ I’m at a point in my life, I wish a ni**a would now.” It seems like the success of other producers/rappers has given this one-time underground emcee an immense amount of confidence, and I can’t say I’m mad at it. Can Milk actually deliver the Album of the Year? We’ll find out on Sept. 14.
Listen to More: Black Milk Written by Quentin Cuff
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep It Live ft. Mr. Porter" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!