Calling your LP the Album of the Year creates a very high standard to live up to, but Detroit native Black Milk not only seems to happy to craft sky high expectations, but delivers a single that helps back up his boasting. On Welcome (Gotta Go), the producer/emcee crafts a ferociously spooky instrumental (think Michael Myers meets Kanye) that features haunting background vocals and somber lyrics to match. Sporting a dense, action-packed flow that weaves its way in and out of the beat smoother than a serpent, Milk is lyrically dressed to impress as he tears thorough this track like a a college rejection letter with lines about “It’s just business/ it feels good now/ I’m at a point in my life, I wish a ni**a would now.” It seems like the success of other producers/rappers has given this one-time underground emcee an immense amount of confidence, and I can’t say I’m mad at it. Can Milk actually deliver the Album of the Year? We’ll find out on Sept. 14.
Listen to More: Black Milk Written by Quentin Cuff
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep It Live ft. Mr. Porter" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.