Calling your LP the Album of the Year creates a very high standard to live up to, but Detroit native Black Milk not only seems to happy to craft sky high expectations, but delivers a single that helps back up his boasting. On Welcome (Gotta Go), the producer/emcee crafts a ferociously spooky instrumental (think Michael Myers meets Kanye) that features haunting background vocals and somber lyrics to match. Sporting a dense, action-packed flow that weaves its way in and out of the beat smoother than a serpent, Milk is lyrically dressed to impress as he tears thorough this track like a a college rejection letter with lines about “It’s just business/ it feels good now/ I’m at a point in my life, I wish a ni**a would now.” It seems like the success of other producers/rappers has given this one-time underground emcee an immense amount of confidence, and I can’t say I’m mad at it. Can Milk actually deliver the Album of the Year? We’ll find out on Sept. 14.
Listen to More: Black Milk
Written by Quentin Cuff on 07/12/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep It Live ft. Mr. Porter" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.