Calling your LP the Album of the Year creates a very high standard to live up to, but Detroit native Black Milk not only seems to happy to craft sky high expectations, but delivers a single that helps back up his boasting. On Welcome (Gotta Go), the producer/emcee crafts a ferociously spooky instrumental (think Michael Myers meets Kanye) that features haunting background vocals and somber lyrics to match. Sporting a dense, action-packed flow that weaves its way in and out of the beat smoother than a serpent, Milk is lyrically dressed to impress as he tears thorough this track like a a college rejection letter with lines about “It’s just business/ it feels good now/ I’m at a point in my life, I wish a ni**a would now.” It seems like the success of other producers/rappers has given this one-time underground emcee an immense amount of confidence, and I can’t say I’m mad at it. Can Milk actually deliver the Album of the Year? We’ll find out on Sept. 14.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 07/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep It Live ft. Mr. Porter" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.