I know what you’re thinking: with all the fiber-rich granola consumed by your average flower child, how could a crew called Black Hippy be anything but regular? Oh – I was the only one wondering about that? Awkward. Thankfully, Constipation has more to do with Ab-Soul, Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar and ScHoolboy Q being the sh*t than any trials and tribulations involved with taking one. The latest leak off Ab-Soul’s forthcoming mixtape, this cut finds Sounwave superimposing Spaghetti-Western horn and guitar riffs over a rolling breakbeat as the Top Dawg labelmates demonstrate that, despite their penchant for peace, love and patchouli, Black Hippy most certainly ain’t nuthin to f*ck with. Appropriately for a joint with a pronounced retro vibe, the collaborators amp up the old-school party ambiance with a little lighthearted line-trading: “The reason why the chicks always fallin’ on this?” “Two n*ggas getting’ high.” “Flying objects!” Hoping that Black Hippy’s more than a one-time deal? Speak up and make it happen! In the meantime, you’ll be able to find Constipation and much more on Ab-Soul’s Long-Term Mentality (#LTM) , set to hit the ‘net April 5.
Written by richard on 02/27/11
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.