Peaceniks and shrinking violets can hit ‘back’ too – as you may have gathered from the record’s confrontational title, Black Flag Records’ new mixtape single (and first Booth feature) is the musical equivalent of a thrown gauntlet. Who are A.Moss (Bottom of the Barrel, All I Have), JJ Bass and Herron looking to pick a fight with on You Wanna Battle? Well, damned near everyone in the music game. Over The Unbeatables’ gritty, boom-bap boardwork (complete with a hook featuring samples from Black Moon’s How Many M.C.‘s and Missy Elliot‘s Get Ur Freak On, to name a couple), the trio take aim at such popular targets as sucker emcees, skinny-jeaned hipsters and out-of-touch radio DJs, delivering aggressive bars packed with intricately-rhymed braggadocio: “It’s easy to see, we feat on these feeble emcees, just give me the beat and drop it like seasonal leaves.” So, readers, do the Black Flag crew have the on-the-mic skills to start a musical revolution? If you think they might, you can find out for sure on their DJ Green Lantern Presents a Coup d’état mixtape, released Tuesday and available now for free download.
Written by richard on 02/10/10
Submit your Rating
Black Flag Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.