Though unreleased cut Rush, featured earlier this month, came on the heels of a nearly two-year absence from the Booth, Black EL had no trouble picking up right where he left off, and the record earned overwhelmingly positive reader reviews. Should we ever have doubted him? Nah – as the Boston native reminds us on his latest mixtape single, “I could be 100 Miles away and if I say, ‘I’m coming back today,’ I’m coming back.” As on his last feature, the emcee formerly known as Black Element attacks the mic with head-turning energy, lacing beatsmith Durkin‘s clattering percussion and spacey synths with aggressive, wordplay-drenched braggadocio. As sure as the artist is that his big break’s right around the corner, though, he’s not counting his chickens before they hatch: “Probably get the Acura before the Maybach, ‘cause I can pay that now…” Good thinking, my man. So, Booth readers, do you think this up-and-comer’s destined to go the distance? Then be sure to pick up a copy of Black EL’s Color Commentary street album, when it hits the ‘net next Tuesday, August 31.
Written by richard on 08/25/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Itis" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.