Regular Booth readers know that I’m a writer who enjoys inserting pop culture references into my intros, so Black Cobain’s new mixtape standout Will Farrell (incorrectly titled Semi Pro elsewhere in the blogosphere) was like an early Christmas gift. Making his DJBooth debut with Will Farrell, a title I assume is an indirect reference to comedy god Will Ferrell, Cobain, a VA emcee whose name I assume is an indirect reference to rock god Kurt Cobain, laces the record’s lightly harmonized Chris Wright beat with direct lyrical references to MC Hammer, Bobby Brown, Teddy Pendergrass and, of course, bisexual women, sentiments that his Board Administration partner Wale echoes on a typically breezy, oral sex-oriented guest verse. Interestingly, it’s only hook provider Tre (of UCB) who throws a shout out Will’s way, but then again, maybe mental images of the not-exactly-svelte Ferrell are probably the last thing you want when you’re trying to convince a fine lady to start undressing. Feeling inspired to go streaking in the quad? Check out Cobain’s new mixtape, Now, available, fittingly, right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
Submit your Rating
The Board Administration
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.