Why are you here? What is your purpose? BJ The Chicago Kid’s latest track His Pain, with Kendrick Lamar, explores these queries as much as it exposes life’s troubles. Leaked previously as a potential Section.80 inclusion, this melancholic meditation has now been added officially to BJ’s forthcoming album. Kendrick’s signature deep raspy flow takes the first half, outlining how a man can manage to experience life’s blessings, while still being witness to evils and pain around him, or how a sinful man can be spared pain while the innocent suffer. In a low-muffled plea Kendrick calls out to a higher power: “I dunno why He keeps blessing me,” seeking answers about why he deserves favorable treatment before flipping his consciousness and envisioning a purpose in helping and blessing others. BJ’s vocals enter in the second half, continuing this motif and building upon the ruminations with soulful crooning. His voice penetrates the track and gives it emotional catharsis. Both artists are further elevated via the beautiful jazz piano sample by producer Sounwave, who creates a pleasurable hip-hop meets jazz meets blues hybrid. For more from BJ, be sure to check out his Pineapple Now-Laters album, to be released February 14.
Written by Sandra Manzanares on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.