When BJ the Chicago Kid dropped Pineapple Now & Laters back in February, Booth readers and staff alike fell in love, hailing the project as a retro-inspired, but forward-looking revitalization of the R&B genre. Evidently, it also caught Motown‘s ear, as the Windy City singer was signed shortly thereafter, in August. Now, BJ’s back to make the marriage official with the release of album inclusion-turned-debut single Good Luv’N. An understated burner that exemplifies the singer’s era-bridging style, the cut finds co-producers David ‘Dae-Dae’ Haddon and Jarius ‘J-Mo’ Mozee combining live brass with contemporary synth sounds over a muscular rhythm section as BJ soulfully assuages a lover’s doubts, quoting from the Staple Singers’ classic Let’s Do It in the Morning on the record’s chorus. While the artist has yet to announce any forthcoming projects via his new label home, fans craving new material can, as always, keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 12/5/12
Over the last decade R&B has slowly but surely morphed from “rhythm & blues” to “hip-hop that just so happens to have a R&B singer on the hook.” Or, at the very least, “R&B that just so happens to have a rapper on a...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.