When BJ the Chicago Kid dropped Pineapple Now & Laters back in February, Booth readers and staff alike fell in love, hailing the project as a retro-inspired, but forward-looking revitalization of the R&B genre. Evidently, it also caught Motown‘s ear, as the Windy City singer was signed shortly thereafter, in August. Now, BJ’s back to make the marriage official with the release of album inclusion-turned-debut single Good Luv’N. An understated burner that exemplifies the singer’s era-bridging style, the cut finds co-producers David ‘Dae-Dae’ Haddon and Jarius ‘J-Mo’ Mozee combining live brass with contemporary synth sounds over a muscular rhythm section as BJ soulfully assuages a lover’s doubts, quoting from the Staple Singers’ classic Let’s Do It in the Morning on the record’s chorus. While the artist has yet to announce any forthcoming projects via his new label home, fans craving new material can, as always, keep it locked for the latest.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.