Plenty of artists make the rounds as featured artists before stepping into the Booth with a jam of their own, but precious few have hustled as hard on the collaborative tip as BJ the Chicago Kid. Over the last couple years, we’ve heard the Windy City crooner contribute vocals to cuts by everyone from Bun B & GLC, to Jay Rock, to Kidz in the Hall, for a grand total of seven appearances. Appropriately enough, solo debut Dreams II (Turn the Lights On) finds the artist opining on the importance of hard work, dedication and high standards when it comes to achieving greatness. Over THC‘s shockingly creative instrumental, a shape-shifting synth-sample arrangement incorporating motivational insights from Will Smith, the up-and-comer shares some of his own hardest-won pearls of wisdom, advising listeners to shoot for the stars and refrain from wasting their breath on mediocre peers (“I learned that you can’t talk to losers ‘bout winning. / It ain’t their language, they’re never gonna get it.”). Like what you’re hearing? This incisive, uniquely catchy cut is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on BJ’s Pineapple Now-Laters LP, scheduled for release Feb. 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Over the last decade R&B has slowly but surely morphed from “rhythm & blues” to “hip-hop that just so happens to have a R&B singer on the hook.” Or, at the very least, “R&B that just so happens to have a rapper on a...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.