Plenty of artists make the rounds as featured artists before stepping into the Booth with a jam of their own, but precious few have hustled as hard on the collaborative tip as BJ the Chicago Kid. Over the last couple years, we’ve heard the Windy City crooner contribute vocals to cuts by everyone from Bun B & GLC, to Jay Rock, to Kidz in the Hall, for a grand total of seven appearances. Appropriately enough, solo debut Dreams II (Turn the Lights On) finds the artist opining on the importance of hard work, dedication and high standards when it comes to achieving greatness. Over THC‘s shockingly creative instrumental, a shape-shifting synth-sample arrangement incorporating motivational insights from Will Smith, the up-and-comer shares some of his own hardest-won pearls of wisdom, advising listeners to shoot for the stars and refrain from wasting their breath on mediocre peers (“I learned that you can’t talk to losers ‘bout winning. / It ain’t their language, they’re never gonna get it.”). Like what you’re hearing? This incisive, uniquely catchy cut is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on BJ’s Pineapple Now-Laters LP, scheduled for release Feb. 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
Written by richard on 01/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.