Plenty of artists make the rounds as featured artists before stepping into the Booth with a jam of their own, but precious few have hustled as hard on the collaborative tip as BJ the Chicago Kid. Over the last couple years, we’ve heard the Windy City crooner contribute vocals to cuts by everyone from Bun B & GLC, to Jay Rock, to Kidz in the Hall, for a grand total of seven appearances. Appropriately enough, solo debut Dreams II (Turn the Lights On) finds the artist opining on the importance of hard work, dedication and high standards when it comes to achieving greatness. Over THC‘s shockingly creative instrumental, a shape-shifting synth-sample arrangement incorporating motivational insights from Will Smith, the up-and-comer shares some of his own hardest-won pearls of wisdom, advising listeners to shoot for the stars and refrain from wasting their breath on mediocre peers (“I learned that you can’t talk to losers ‘bout winning. / It ain’t their language, they’re never gonna get it.”). Like what you’re hearing? This incisive, uniquely catchy cut is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on BJ’s Pineapple Now-Laters LP, scheduled for release Feb. 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day One Girl" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.