Contemporary rap is all about passing around different ideas until they’ve been perfected and then spoiled. After appearing in Busta Rhymes’s We Made It video, which featured Linkin Park, Bishop Lamont is trying his own hand genre of rap-rock. While We Made It is two parts rock and one part rap, City Lights stays much truer to Lamont’s calling. Only the power chords and the vocals on the hook, sung by Erik from the Canadian crossover group The New Royales, are borrowed from rock. The rest of the song is pure hip hop, from Lamont’s three on-point verses to DJ Khalil’s grimy Cali beat. The track appears on Lamont’s new mixtape, The Confessional. Whether rap and rock are meant to be fused remains to be seen; for the time being, however, rap-rock is still fresh.
Listen to More: Bishop Lamont Written by Charlie E.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Dream About ft. Pooh Bear" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!