Regretting that last hit? We’ve all been there—and as far as I’m aware, there’s nothing you can do but kick back and wait till you’ve come back down to Earth. If you’re looking for a little something to smooth your descent, however, a listen to Bilal‘s latest mixtape single through quality headphones should be just what the doctor ordered. Perennially-blunted crate-digger MADLIB mans the mixing boards on Too High, serving up a mellow, slightly discombobulated jazz backdrop for verses seemingly centered around the neo-soul mainstay and recent eOne signee’s abortive romance with a superficial, success-seeking shorty. I say “seemingly,” because I don’t think the jam was meant to be understood straight, but the lack of THC in my system doesn’t stop it from being a damn fine listen. For Too High and much more, check out Bilal’s latest street album, The Retrospective, when it drops December 5, via the artist’s Facebook.
Written by richard on 12/2/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.