Bilal‘s last feature (and latest single), Restart, left Booth readers split on whether or not the R&B vet could truly make a comeback after nearly a decade away from the game. If you came down on the “he can’t hack it” side of the argument, this newly-released remix may well convince you that you need a little more time to Think It Over. Originally backed by the throwback grooves of 88-Keys, this bittersweet post-breakup lament gets a major overhaul courtesy of Boy Meets World beatsmith Exile, who slices and dices the original’s slow-rolling rhythm section and shimmering guitar accompaniment into something significantly more outre. With a halting bassline, a disorienting, handclap-driven beat, and off-kilter synth accents, this driving revamp may take a listen or three to to sink in, but Bilal’s soulful vocals remain as instantly appealing as ever. Creative? Most definitely. Better than the original? That’s your call – either way, more progressively soulful jams can be heard on the singer’s new Airtight’s Revenge LP, available in stores and online via Plug Research.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.