Bilal‘s last feature (and latest single), Restart, left Booth readers split on whether or not the R&B vet could truly make a comeback after nearly a decade away from the game. If you came down on the “he can’t hack it” side of the argument, this newly-released remix may well convince you that you need a little more time to Think It Over. Originally backed by the throwback grooves of 88-Keys, this bittersweet post-breakup lament gets a major overhaul courtesy of Boy Meets World beatsmith Exile, who slices and dices the original’s slow-rolling rhythm section and shimmering guitar accompaniment into something significantly more outre. With a halting bassline, a disorienting, handclap-driven beat, and off-kilter synth accents, this driving revamp may take a listen or three to to sink in, but Bilal’s soulful vocals remain as instantly appealing as ever. Creative? Most definitely. Better than the original? That’s your call – either way, more progressively soulful jams can be heard on the singer’s new Airtight’s Revenge LP, available in stores and online via Plug Research.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.