It’s been nine years – nine years! – since R&B/neo-soul innovator Bilal dropped his first and, to date, only studio album (not counting the never-released Love for Sale). Can an artist who’s been flying under the radar for so long really hope for another big break? Put me down for a “Yes;” judging on newly-released single Free, the singer’s retro-informed yet forward-looking style has only grown fresher in the intervening years. A galloping ode to life on the open road, this creative joint finds beatsmith Nottz blending a sample from The Supremes’ Automatically Sunshine with bouncy bass, ominous piano trills, and exotically fresh brass as the artists invites a special lady to leave behind the daily grind and run away with him. Sure to earn repeat spins from listeners with a taste for left-of-center soul grooves, this cut and much more can be found on what, if it weren’t for Big Boi‘s Sir Lucious Left Foot, may have been in the running for the year’s most eccentrically-titled LP: Airtight’s Revenge is set to hit stores and online retailers September 14.
Listen to More: Bilal
Written by richard on 06/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.