It’s been nine years – nine years! – since R&B/neo-soul innovator Bilal dropped his first and, to date, only studio album (not counting the never-released Love for Sale). Can an artist who’s been flying under the radar for so long really hope for another big break? Put me down for a “Yes;” judging on newly-released single Free, the singer’s retro-informed yet forward-looking style has only grown fresher in the intervening years. A galloping ode to life on the open road, this creative joint finds beatsmith Nottz blending a sample from The Supremes’ Automatically Sunshine with bouncy bass, ominous piano trills, and exotically fresh brass as the artists invites a special lady to leave behind the daily grind and run away with him. Sure to earn repeat spins from listeners with a taste for left-of-center soul grooves, this cut and much more can be found on what, if it weren’t for Big Boi‘s Sir Lucious Left Foot, may have been in the running for the year’s most eccentrically-titled LP: Airtight’s Revenge is set to hit stores and online retailers September 14.
Listen to More: Bilal
Written by richard on 06/17/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)