It’s been nine years – nine years! – since R&B/neo-soul innovator Bilal dropped his first and, to date, only studio album (not counting the never-released Love for Sale). Can an artist who’s been flying under the radar for so long really hope for another big break? Put me down for a “Yes;” judging on newly-released single Free, the singer’s retro-informed yet forward-looking style has only grown fresher in the intervening years. A galloping ode to life on the open road, this creative joint finds beatsmith Nottz blending a sample from The Supremes’ Automatically Sunshine with bouncy bass, ominous piano trills, and exotically fresh brass as the artists invites a special lady to leave behind the daily grind and run away with him. Sure to earn repeat spins from listeners with a taste for left-of-center soul grooves, this cut and much more can be found on what, if it weren’t for Big Boi‘s Sir Lucious Left Foot, may have been in the running for the year’s most eccentrically-titled LP: Airtight’s Revenge is set to hit stores and online retailers September 14.
Written by richard on 06/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Light 2008 (It’s Love) ft. Marsha Ambrosius & Bilal" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.