The difficulty of lacing a beat with double-time flows is twofold: not only must you possess the stamina and agility to maintain your pace, but you’ve gotta have SUMTHIN2SAY to fill all those extra syllables. Booth newcomer BIGREC, for one, has both those bases covered – for proof, simply flip on his latest single, which finds the ATLien and two equally speedy colleagues packing the rap equivalent of The Iliad into a brisk five minutes. The Produce Seqtion man the boards, cooking up a Spaghetti Western instrumental that sets a cinematic mood without drawing attention away from the hyperkinetic flows that are the cut’s main focus. After Booth fave Playboy Tre‘s action-packed opener, Southern up-and-comer Tom P. comes with more of the dizzying rhyme styles he showcased on Root for the Underdog, and REC screeches past the finish line with a booming closing 16. Who spit the standout line? You might as well as me to pick a favorite page of War & Peace! (“Ving Rhymes” did crack me up, though.) If this blazing Booth debut leaves you craving more, you’ll find what you seek on REC’s RHHIB: The PreRECuisite (Vol 1.5) mixtape, due out March 25.
Written by richard on 02/23/11
Submit your Rating
Dymond Mine Records/RHHIB Enterprises
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.