As strange as it may sound, the formerly omnipresent Nicki Minaj has been relatively scarce around these parts since the campaign for her smash Pink Friday album ended, and the same goes for Big Sean and his debut album. Boom, problem solved. For the third official single from Finally Famous, Sean brings in the Young Money queen for a musical, and anatomical, collaboration in the form of a remix to his appropriately titled Dance (A$$). It takes talent to flip a MC Hammer sample into a legit strip club anthem but that’s exactly what producers Da Internz have done here, layering the booming beat with plenty of claps to, you know, inspire some of that hands free “clapping.” One the mic Big Sean delivers exactly the kind of off-kilter, humor-laden rhymes that he’s made his trademark; be prepared for “wobbly’d wobbly’d wop” to enter the hip-hop lexicon shortly. For her part, while Nicki isn’t as schizophrenic as we know she’s capable of, but from the sexually ambiguous references to the extended “waikikiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,” this is still a verse that only Ms. Minaj would dare deliver. So, to those familiar with the original, is Nicki’s presence a blessing or a curse? And those just getting acquainted with Dance via the remix, might I suggest picking up a copy of Finally Famous?
Written by Nathan S. on 10/5/11
G.O.O.D./Island Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.