In the latter half of his latest freestyle, Big Sean spits, “This for the fans who say they love the album but they f**king love the mixtape.” What more can I say? If you’ve been longing for the unfettered lyrical fire the emcee brought to his acclaimed Detroit street album, the newly-released 1st Quarter will be right up your alley. In action-packed verses, Sean tackles his usual, braggadocious subject matter with impressive wit and panache, lacing Finally Famous signee KeY Wane and G.O.O.D. labelmate Travi$ Scott‘s ominous bell loops with one punchline after another. Lest you write this off as a fluke, he makes clear in the outro that this is gonna be the status quo going forward: “All that I just did, all my old sh*t, that’s practice. / So from here on out it’s murder.” If that’s so, his fans have an exciting year ahead. Keep it locked for the latest news and tunes as Big Sean firms up his plans for 2014.
Written by richard on 01/30/14
Submit your Rating
G.O.O.D./Island Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.