In the latter half of his latest freestyle, Big Sean spits, “This for the fans who say they love the album but they f**king love the mixtape.” What more can I say? If you’ve been longing for the unfettered lyrical fire the emcee brought to his acclaimed Detroit street album, the newly-released 1st Quarter will be right up your alley. In action-packed verses, Sean tackles his usual, braggadocious subject matter with impressive wit and panache, lacing Finally Famous signee KeY Wane and G.O.O.D. labelmate Travi$ Scott‘s ominous bell loops with one punchline after another. Lest you write this off as a fluke, he makes clear in the outro that this is gonna be the status quo going forward: “All that I just did, all my old sh*t, that’s practice. / So from here on out it’s murder.” If that’s so, his fans have an exciting year ahead. Keep it locked for the latest news and tunes as Big Sean firms up his plans for 2014.
Written by richard on 01/30/14
Submit your Rating
G.O.O.D / Def Jam Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.