From hip-hop’s humble beginnings to the Golden Age to the present day, NYC has been a driving force in the game, and each of the Big Apple’s five boroughs can lay claim to a few of rap’s finest. The Bronx, for example, gave birth to Christopher Rios, better known as Big Punisher. Though the rap icon’s time on this earth was tragically short (he passed away at 28), the massive influence of his debut LP, Capital Punishment, cannot be denied. Selected as lead single off a “best of” LP compiled as a companion piece to forthcoming documentary The Legacy, Super Lyrical ranks among Big Pun’s most devastating displays of on-the-mic prowess; a collaborative track of epic proportions, which sees the battle emcee and Roots frontman Black Thought dancing over Rockwilder‘s chopped up Notorious B.I.G. sample as they assure all challengers of their inevitable defeat. Maybe those involved with the documentary and album (both due out Sept. 15th) will also run across the “middleman from Little Italy” and receive a detailed recap of his run-in with the Punisher…
Listen to More: Big Pun Written by Rakeem
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.