When the brass at Grand Hustle decided to drop Big Kuntry King‘s debut album, My Turn to Eat, on the same day as his boss T.I.‘s Paper Trail (September 30), they thought listeners would be quick to pick up on the “Grand Hustle Day” concept. Unfortunately for Kuntry, Paper Trail debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and went gold in the first week (now platinum), while My Turn to Eat debuted 97 spots below it, selling barely 6,000 copies. While some might call it a career after such a disappointment, the Atlanta emcee is still getting his grind on, already set to release a new mixtape next month. Turning up a beat by longtime Grand Hustle beatmakers Nard & B, Kuntry and Gucci Mane protégé OJ da Juiceman take a ride through the city while high off Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay (sic). Before purists start giving out knee-jerk one-star ratings, they should consider the following: 1. It’s just a mixtape track, and, 2., the collaborators cater to fans of Southern street music. All things considered, Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay has the potential to be a huge hit with its target audience.
Written by Burmy on 01/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Top Back (Rmx) ft. Young Jeezy, Young Dro, Big Kuntry & B.G." (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.