When the brass at Grand Hustle decided to drop Big Kuntry King‘s debut album, My Turn to Eat, on the same day as his boss T.I.‘s Paper Trail (September 30), they thought listeners would be quick to pick up on the “Grand Hustle Day” concept. Unfortunately for Kuntry, Paper Trail debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and went gold in the first week (now platinum), while My Turn to Eat debuted 97 spots below it, selling barely 6,000 copies. While some might call it a career after such a disappointment, the Atlanta emcee is still getting his grind on, already set to release a new mixtape next month. Turning up a beat by longtime Grand Hustle beatmakers Nard & B, Kuntry and Gucci Mane protégé OJ da Juiceman take a ride through the city while high off Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay (sic). Before purists start giving out knee-jerk one-star ratings, they should consider the following: 1. It’s just a mixtape track, and, 2., the collaborators cater to fans of Southern street music. All things considered, Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay has the potential to be a huge hit with its target audience.
Written by Burmy on 01/4/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Top Back (Rmx) ft. Young Jeezy, Young Dro, Big Kuntry & B.G." (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.