When the brass at Grand Hustle decided to drop Big Kuntry King‘s debut album, My Turn to Eat, on the same day as his boss T.I.‘s Paper Trail (September 30), they thought listeners would be quick to pick up on the “Grand Hustle Day” concept. Unfortunately for Kuntry, Paper Trail debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and went gold in the first week (now platinum), while My Turn to Eat debuted 97 spots below it, selling barely 6,000 copies. While some might call it a career after such a disappointment, the Atlanta emcee is still getting his grind on, already set to release a new mixtape next month. Turning up a beat by longtime Grand Hustle beatmakers Nard & B, Kuntry and Gucci Mane protégé OJ da Juiceman take a ride through the city while high off Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay (sic). Before purists start giving out knee-jerk one-star ratings, they should consider the following: 1. It’s just a mixtape track, and, 2., the collaborators cater to fans of Southern street music. All things considered, Kush Blunts and Ro’Zay has the potential to be a huge hit with its target audience.
Written by Burmy on 01/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Top Back (Remix)" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.