Underground fave Big K.R.I.T. has proven that he can murder a mixtape and body a DJBooth freestyle with ease. It seems that the big time still eludes him though, like if the perfect track that balanced Grade A hip-hop, a soulful hook and some pop appeal landed in his hands, he would be the next to blow. With the drop of Neva Go Back, featuring indie group Grillade, the King may have just that. Lead singer Ragen Fykes’ hook paints an easy, laid back picture reminiscent of mid-90’s Outkast, and custom made for reminiscing about childhoods spent running barefoot in Granny’s backyard. That tone is perfect for this record, considering it was inspired by and dedicated to K.R.I.T’s grandmother, Miss Linnie, whom he remembers “cooking in the kitchen, something good for my soul.” The song has a timeless feel, brought about by the union of the MC’s rhyming and production skills and Grillade’s arrangement execution. It’s only appropriate they package that chemistry for all to enjoy with their collaborative Big K.R.I.T x Grillade EP, dropping soon. Whether the songs blows up or not, we’re sure Miss Linnie is proud.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 01/19/11
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2000 & Beyond" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.