When we look back at the year that was 2010 and start compiling the mixtapes of the year list, Big K.R.I.T.’s breakthrough project KRIT Wuz Here will undoubtedly be on it. The distinctly southern yet universally dope project helped land K.R.I.T. a deal with Def Jam, and it was tracks like Hometown Hero that gave the project character. Not content with near-perfection, today Krizza takes another shot at Hometown Hero with a remix to that standout track. The original’s haunting production, courtesy of K.R.I.T. himself, remains intact, right down to the Friday Night Lights sample, and K.R.I.T.’s verses remain untouched. Instead, it’s the addition of another Southern fast-riser, Yelawolf, that gives the cut its newness. True to form, Yela drops an atypically subdued but still quick verse that reps hard for the rarely repped Gadsen, Alabama: “Some people leave it, they ball till they fall flat, I just want to bring it home, and give it all back.” Hometown heroes indeed. Unless you’ve got a serious case of ADD and can’t listen to tracks over 3 minutes, it’s hard to see how the remix isn’t an improvement on the original.
Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2000 & Beyond" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.