When we look back at the year that was 2010 and start compiling the mixtapes of the year list, Big K.R.I.T.’s breakthrough project KRIT Wuz Here will undoubtedly be on it. The distinctly southern yet universally dope project helped land K.R.I.T. a deal with Def Jam, and it was tracks like Hometown Hero that gave the project character. Not content with near-perfection, today Krizza takes another shot at Hometown Hero with a remix to that standout track. The original’s haunting production, courtesy of K.R.I.T. himself, remains intact, right down to the Friday Night Lights sample, and K.R.I.T.’s verses remain untouched. Instead, it’s the addition of another Southern fast-riser, Yelawolf, that gives the cut its newness. True to form, Yela drops an atypically subdued but still quick verse that reps hard for the rarely repped Gadsen, Alabama: “Some people leave it, they ball till they fall flat, I just want to bring it home, and give it all back.” Hometown heroes indeed. Unless you’ve got a serious case of ADD and can’t listen to tracks over 3 minutes, it’s hard to see how the remix isn’t an improvement on the original.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2000 & Beyond" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)