When we look back at the year that was 2010 and start compiling the mixtapes of the year list, Big K.R.I.T.’s breakthrough project KRIT Wuz Here will undoubtedly be on it. The distinctly southern yet universally dope project helped land K.R.I.T. a deal with Def Jam, and it was tracks like Hometown Hero that gave the project character. Not content with near-perfection, today Krizza takes another shot at Hometown Hero with a remix to that standout track. The original’s haunting production, courtesy of K.R.I.T. himself, remains intact, right down to the Friday Night Lights sample, and K.R.I.T.’s verses remain untouched. Instead, it’s the addition of another Southern fast-riser, Yelawolf, that gives the cut its newness. True to form, Yela drops an atypically subdued but still quick verse that reps hard for the rarely repped Gadsen, Alabama: “Some people leave it, they ball till they fall flat, I just want to bring it home, and give it all back.” Hometown heroes indeed. Unless you’ve got a serious case of ADD and can’t listen to tracks over 3 minutes, it’s hard to see how the remix isn’t an improvement on the original.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/20/10
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2000 & Beyond" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.