When we look back at the year that was 2010 and start compiling the mixtapes of the year list, Big K.R.I.T.’s breakthrough project KRIT Wuz Here will undoubtedly be on it. The distinctly southern yet universally dope project helped land K.R.I.T. a deal with Def Jam, and it was tracks like Hometown Hero that gave the project character. Not content with near-perfection, today Krizza takes another shot at Hometown Hero with a remix to that standout track. The original’s haunting production, courtesy of K.R.I.T. himself, remains intact, right down to the Friday Night Lights sample, and K.R.I.T.’s verses remain untouched. Instead, it’s the addition of another Southern fast-riser, Yelawolf, that gives the cut its newness. True to form, Yela drops an atypically subdued but still quick verse that reps hard for the rarely repped Gadsen, Alabama: “Some people leave it, they ball till they fall flat, I just want to bring it home, and give it all back.” Hometown heroes indeed. Unless you’ve got a serious case of ADD and can’t listen to tracks over 3 minutes, it’s hard to see how the remix isn’t an improvement on the original.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/20/10
Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2000 & Beyond" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.