Here in Minneapolis, we’re getting to that time of year when stepping outside means running the risk of becoming a human icicle. Which is bad news for us, but good news for the rest of the hip-hop nation – with outdoor activities conveniently off the table, Twin Cities emcees can concentrate fully on the creation of fresh underground jams like Get It In, the latest single from Unknown Prophets member Big Jess. Though the Booth newcomer’s own production, driven by tension-fraught bell arpeggios, sounds as slick and icy as the city streets, he balances it our with a healthy serving of lyrical fire, flaunting his mic skills as he brushes off the amateurs. After Jess has said his piece, freestyle series alum MaLLy grabs the mic to drop an aggressive middle 16, and local mainstay Muja Messiah brings the cut to a strong finish with a pop-referential closing verse (his “David Duchovny/b*tches love me” couplet gets my vote for Hottest Rhyme of the Day). Like what you’re hearing? Plenty more dopeness awaits on Big Jess’ Self Therapy LP, set to hit stores this spring.
Written by richard on 01/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.