Here in Minneapolis, we’re getting to that time of year when stepping outside means running the risk of becoming a human icicle. Which is bad news for us, but good news for the rest of the hip-hop nation – with outdoor activities conveniently off the table, Twin Cities emcees can concentrate fully on the creation of fresh underground jams like Get It In, the latest single from Unknown Prophets member Big Jess. Though the Booth newcomer’s own production, driven by tension-fraught bell arpeggios, sounds as slick and icy as the city streets, he balances it our with a healthy serving of lyrical fire, flaunting his mic skills as he brushes off the amateurs. After Jess has said his piece, freestyle series alum MaLLy grabs the mic to drop an aggressive middle 16, and local mainstay Muja Messiah brings the cut to a strong finish with a pop-referential closing verse (his “David Duchovny/b*tches love me” couplet gets my vote for Hottest Rhyme of the Day). Like what you’re hearing? Plenty more dopeness awaits on Big Jess’ Self Therapy LP, set to hit stores this spring.
Written by richard on 01/9/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.