Ever listened to Lines, the A$AP Rocky-assisted standout off Big Boi‘s sophomore LP, and said to yourself, “This would sound great if you crossed it with A-Ha‘s Take on Me.”? I sure as hell have not, but the thought apparently crossed DJ Dark Fader‘s mind. Now that he’s brought the idea to life, I have to admit he has a point. The seventh weekly entry in General Patton’s Mash-Up Monday series, Lanes sees Dungeoneze slicing and dicing the 1985 synth-pop hit into an irresistibly catchy backdrop for the headliner’s rhymes, as well as those of his Harlem-repping counterpart. It’s the hook, however, that benefits most from the change of aural scenery; Phantogram frontwoman Sarah Carter‘s vocal harmonies mesh seamlessly with the sampled backdrop. Check back with us next Monday for the penultimate installment of Mash Up Mondays, and keep it locked for all the latest on Big Boi’s forthcoming albums, both solo and with Outkast partner-in-rhyme Andre 3k.
Written by richard on 03/11/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.