Last week, Big Boi wowed listeners in the Booth and beyond with CPU 2.0, a new version of the Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors inclusion featuring a fresh instrumental and some silken vocals by Sade. Inviting Miss Adu to do her thing over a smoothed-out beat like the one Dungeoneze concocted for that remix was pretty much a no-brainer. By contrast, the newly-released GossipZilla is a little more off-the-wall. While Big Boi’s verses are retained from the reader-acclaimed original, as are Big K.R.I.T. and UGK‘s guest rhymes, the production has undergone a radical makeover. In place of Organized Noize‘s minimal backdrop, DJ Dark Fader crafts a crunchy, metal-infused groove, borrowing his beat’s stomping percussion and distorted guitar riffs from the Blue Oyster Cult‘s 1977 classic, Godzilla. How does this adventurous mash-up compare to its prototype? That, my friends, is for you to decide. GossipZilla is the third of nine Big Boi remixes slated to drop in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for further highlights in the ongoing series.
Written by richard on 02/3/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.