Growing up on the east coast, I’ve always enjoyed the dopely eclectic work Atlanta has been putting out for over a decade now (it’s hard to imagine another place where artists like Ludacris, Cee-Lo, and Outkast could come from). ATLien Big Boi resides on the edgier side of southern hip-hop, and General Patton is a prime example of why this veteran of the game commands such respect. J Beatz (from Boom Boom Room Productions) puts down a half military ceremony/half Empire Strikes Back, lightsaber duel production that Big Boi, and feature guest Big Rube, use to spit supremely fresh rhymes about about Jesus, their talent - “We killing everything that we attack, special forces of the rap game so you best take heed of that” - and even David Blaine (who knew?). While you won’t be hearing this heavy hitter on the radio (it’s not a single, just an album cut), it has me almost insanely anxious to hear Big Boi’s upcoming album Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty, due to invade our speakers like General Patton on July 6.
Written by Sigurd on 06/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.