On Tremendous Damage, a standout off his Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors LP, Big Boi got real with listeners, acknowledging the struggle and pain that’s dogged his steps as he’s journeyed to the top of the hip-hop game. While the joint was melancholy, it possessed a strong undercurrent of hope and determination. DJ Dark Fader brings that subtext into the foreground with Damaged World, the fourth of nine remixes/mash-ups in the Outkast member’s Mashup Mondays series. In place of the album’s version’s somber Chris Carmouche/Bosko production, Dungeoneze flips an upbeat sample from The World Is Going Up in Flames, an ‘08 jam by Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band. The brassy funk-soul backdrop brings out the energy and tenacity in General Patton’s bars. Feeling it? Then stay tuned for further entries in Big Boi’s ongoing series, as well as updates on his 2014 plans.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.