On Tremendous Damage, a standout off his Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors LP, Big Boi got real with listeners, acknowledging the struggle and pain that’s dogged his steps as he’s journeyed to the top of the hip-hop game. While the joint was melancholy, it possessed a strong undercurrent of hope and determination. DJ Dark Fader brings that subtext into the foreground with Damaged World, the fourth of nine remixes/mash-ups in the Outkast member’s Mashup Mondays series. In place of the album’s version’s somber Chris Carmouche/Bosko production, Dungeoneze flips an upbeat sample from The World Is Going Up in Flames, an ‘08 jam by Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band. The brassy funk-soul backdrop brings out the energy and tenacity in General Patton’s bars. Feeling it? Then stay tuned for further entries in Big Boi’s ongoing series, as well as updates on his 2014 plans.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.