On Tremendous Damage, a standout off his Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors LP, Big Boi got real with listeners, acknowledging the struggle and pain that’s dogged his steps as he’s journeyed to the top of the hip-hop game. While the joint was melancholy, it possessed a strong undercurrent of hope and determination. DJ Dark Fader brings that subtext into the foreground with Damaged World, the fourth of nine remixes/mash-ups in the Outkast member’s Mashup Mondays series. In place of the album’s version’s somber Chris Carmouche/Bosko production, Dungeoneze flips an upbeat sample from The World Is Going Up in Flames, an ‘08 jam by Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band. The brassy funk-soul backdrop brings out the energy and tenacity in General Patton’s bars. Feeling it? Then stay tuned for further entries in Big Boi’s ongoing series, as well as updates on his 2014 plans.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.