On Tremendous Damage, a standout off his Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors LP, Big Boi got real with listeners, acknowledging the struggle and pain that’s dogged his steps as he’s journeyed to the top of the hip-hop game. While the joint was melancholy, it possessed a strong undercurrent of hope and determination. DJ Dark Fader brings that subtext into the foreground with Damaged World, the fourth of nine remixes/mash-ups in the Outkast member’s Mashup Mondays series. In place of the album’s version’s somber Chris Carmouche/Bosko production, Dungeoneze flips an upbeat sample from The World Is Going Up in Flames, an ‘08 jam by Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band. The brassy funk-soul backdrop brings out the energy and tenacity in General Patton’s bars. Feeling it? Then stay tuned for further entries in Big Boi’s ongoing series, as well as updates on his 2014 plans.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royal Flush ft. Raekwon & Andre 3000" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.