First things first: who else had to pick their lower jaw off the floor after hearing Beyond Belief‘s performance in our recent BK Cypher video? Everyone, right? If that’s the case, you’ll be happy to hear that Bobby J.‘s joined forces with DJBooth.net for his latest mixtape project. Leaked cut Take This From Here, making its world premiere in the Booth, finds the Rockaway native dropping some weightier but equally impressive rhymes over the instrumental from slept-on veteran Miilkbone’s ‘95 debut single, Keep It Real. Backed by Mufi‘s jazzy, piano-led beat, the emcee delves a little deeper into the romantic difficulties he alluded to in reader-acclaimed single U Don’t Know Me, blasting women as “sl*t whores” before finally admitting “All of these misogynistic statements don’t reflect how I really feel/ To keep it real, the one I don’t respect is myself.” Needless to say, those who showered praise on UDKM are sure to appreciate Bobby J.‘s brutally honest, heart-on-sleeve approach here. For more introspective jams, as well as plenty of off-the-cuff lyrical insanity, check out Excellent Adventure when it drops in Jan. 2010.
Written by richard on 11/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Touch" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.