In recent months, Beyond Belief has been dropping one dope freestyle each week (including featured installment Amazing) as part of online series Breaking Beyond. Hearing a wordsmith like Bobby J. flex his lyrical muscles is a worthy end in itself, but the Rockaway repper had a pot of gold waiting for fans at the end of the proverbial rainbow—namely, the lead single off his sophomore set. Premiering in the Booth following the video’s debut on MTVu earlier today, Broken is one of the artist’s most personal joints to date. With industry veteran and mentor Kwame‘s plaintive piano/synth beat as his canvas, the freestyle series alum addresses a close friend who lost his life to an accidental drug overdose. In his verses, he grapples with a series of emotions that anyone who has lost a loved one to similarly tragic circumstances will find intimately familiar, from guilt at not being able to do more for the deceased while he was alive, to fantasies of the conversations they might be sharing, had he survived. Katt Rockell ties it all together with a heartfelt hook. If you’re feeling this powerfully cathartic cut, click here to view the official video, currently facing off against four others for the title of “Best Freshman Video of the Week.” Also, keep it locked for further details on Beyond Belief’s next album, which has yet to receive either a title or a drop date.
Written by richard on 04/23/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Touch" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.