In recent months, Beyond Belief has been dropping one dope freestyle each week (including featured installment Amazing) as part of online series Breaking Beyond. Hearing a wordsmith like Bobby J. flex his lyrical muscles is a worthy end in itself, but the Rockaway repper had a pot of gold waiting for fans at the end of the proverbial rainbow—namely, the lead single off his sophomore set. Premiering in the Booth following the video’s debut on MTVu earlier today, Broken is one of the artist’s most personal joints to date. With industry veteran and mentor Kwame‘s plaintive piano/synth beat as his canvas, the freestyle series alum addresses a close friend who lost his life to an accidental drug overdose. In his verses, he grapples with a series of emotions that anyone who has lost a loved one to similarly tragic circumstances will find intimately familiar, from guilt at not being able to do more for the deceased while he was alive, to fantasies of the conversations they might be sharing, had he survived. Katt Rockell ties it all together with a heartfelt hook. If you’re feeling this powerfully cathartic cut, click here to view the official video, currently facing off against four others for the title of “Best Freshman Video of the Week.” Also, keep it locked for further details on Beyond Belief’s next album, which has yet to receive either a title or a drop date.
Written by richard on 04/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Touch" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)