At the risk of Jay-Z having me killed, there’s not a lot of things I’d rather do than watch Beyoncé on my video phone. Hence my enjoyment of Queen B’s steamy cut Video Phone, a track that’s now being remixed with the addition of the often terrifying Lady Gaga (whose own album The Fame Monster drops soon). While the original, catchy as hell Bangladesh production is left primarily intact, the beat now contains rapid-fire percussion and, interestingly, country western guitars on the opening and big bang horns during the outro. Vocally Beyoncé’s (dope) contributions are untouched, but Lady Gaga definitely brings a new vibe to Video Phone, laying down a verse filled with heavily stylized vocals and obscure pop culture references (I doubt anyone under 40 will get her line “I’ll be your Jean you be my Brando”). Is the remix better than the original? That’s up to the Booth to decide. Video Phone (Remix) is off the deluxe edition of Beyoncé’s last album I Am…Sasha Fierce, set to hit stores on November 23.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.