Boasting guest appearances from both Kanye West (in a brief, yet swagger-dripping ad-libbed role) and Andre 3k, as well as a hook influenced by a hip-hop classic (Keith Sweat’s Right and a Wrong Way), Beyoncé‘s Party seemed like a shoo-in for success. Thus, Boothgoers, seemed surprised when the result was just good. In hopes of upgrading to “great,” Bey pulls a guest verse switcheroo on the cut’s official remix and single version, trading 3 Stacks for the currently red-hot J. Cole. Over Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker‘s springy synths and crisp percussion rhythm, the Roc Nation emcee drops a verse that begins on a swaggerriffic note and ends as rap-reference word salad (“This that time of week she like to Freek-a-Leek and get naughty / Therefore I’d like to thank God and Ice Cube for ‘Friday,’ ‘cause La-Di-Da-Di.”). So, what do you think, Booth readers—was this the tweak that Party needed in order to achieve hit status, or would Knowles have been better off sticking with Andre? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, book a trip to your local record store to pick up a copy of the singer’s senior set, 4, released back in July.
Written by richard on 10/23/11
In a strange way Beyoncé is a victim of her own success. She’s the closest we now have to Michael Jackson, a transcendent entertainer with the power to both sell out stadiums and have the White House on speed dial (and...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.