Boasting guest appearances from both Kanye West (in a brief, yet swagger-dripping ad-libbed role) and Andre 3k, as well as a hook influenced by a hip-hop classic (Keith Sweat’s Right and a Wrong Way), Beyoncé‘s Party seemed like a shoo-in for success. Thus, Boothgoers, seemed surprised when the result was just good. In hopes of upgrading to “great,” Bey pulls a guest verse switcheroo on the cut’s official remix and single version, trading 3 Stacks for the currently red-hot J. Cole. Over Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker‘s springy synths and crisp percussion rhythm, the Roc Nation emcee drops a verse that begins on a swaggerriffic note and ends as rap-reference word salad (“This that time of week she like to Freek-a-Leek and get naughty / Therefore I’d like to thank God and Ice Cube for ‘Friday,’ ‘cause La-Di-Da-Di.”). So, what do you think, Booth readers—was this the tweak that Party needed in order to achieve hit status, or would Knowles have been better off sticking with Andre? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, book a trip to your local record store to pick up a copy of the singer’s senior set, 4, released back in July.
Written by richard on 10/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.