As excellent as supposed “second single” 1 + 1 was, the fact that Beyoncé neglected to say “no backsies” at any point in the record should have tipped us off to the fact that the selection was not yet set in stone. Today, on the other hand, we’re proud to present the official, bona fide, authentic genuine article (knock on wood). The Babyface-penned Best Thing I Never Had is a lush, sweeping ballad of a traditional stripe—or an anti-ballad, as the case may be. Unlike the lovestruck 1 + 1, this joint finds the Destiny’s Child alum expressing her joy at not falling for a fella who she now knows would have been terrible for her. Over Symbolyc One‘s glittering, piano-led instrumental, the singer lets the man in question know that, though she once was head-over-heels for him, now that she’s seen his true colors, he doesn’t have a chance in hell of winning her back. As usual, Knowles delivers her kiss-offs in style, even managing to make “Sucks to be you” sound soulful. Time for the big question: was the last-minute single switch a good decision? Debate away – and, if you haven’t already,mark your calendar for the June 28, release of 4, Beyoncé‘s senior solo set.
Written by richard on 06/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.