Before you say a word, yes I’m writing about Beyoncé. Yes, Beyoncé Knowles the singer. Ha! I hope you don’t have a problem with a self-proclaimed Hip-Hop head commenting on some R&B, but I actually dig the record. With it’s American Idol debut last night, 1+1 is the follow up single to Run the World (Girls), which is still struggling with airplay and hasn’t quite grown on critics and fans alike, even with the release of a big budget video. Queen B returns with a bit of math in her new single, which may be an ode to husband Shawn Carter (I think you all might know him as Jay-Z) or mathematicians. Either way, the first track on her upcoming 4 release (how many numbers can I fit into this post), with it’s sound reminiscent of Dangerously in Love 2, may be just what her fan base is looking for. Truth be told, I also don’t know much about algebra, but 1+1 is basic math, so it’s easy for me to understand love (and the lyrics to this song), considering I am smarter than a fifth grader. Starting with it’s soft strings, and the opening line “If I ain’t got nothing…” from a entertainer who has it all, Beyoncé definitely flexes her vocals on this smooth ballad. Perhaps the most interesting thing about Beyonce’s upcoming 4, scheduled to drop June 24, is it’s lone feature with Andre 3000. I’d assume a lot of folks are looking forward to that cut. In the meantime, enjoy 1+1.
Written by ThroatChopU on 05/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.