Now, I’m no Black Eyed Peas hater, but I have to admit that it was with some trepidation that I clicked “play” on the only-a-matter-of-time-before-it’s-a-hit lead single off their forthcoming LP – what will I do if I hate it? Live in the woods as a hermit for the next year and a half? Well, after listening to The Time (The Dirty Bit), I’m happy to say I won’t be putting down a deposit on a cave anytime soon. I’m… actually kinda digging it. will.i.am proves as deft as ever behind the boards, serving up a sparse, body-moving percussion backdrop for the same brand of eccentric, instantly memorable rhymes that helped make Boom Boom Pow a smash: “All these girls they like my swagger, they call me Mick Jagger / I be rollin’ like a stone, jet-setter, jet-lagger.” Top it all off with a hook repurposed from Dirty Dancing classic (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life, and you’ve got yourself another megahit – or do my ears deceive me? Whatever your feelings on the matter, you can expect to hear plenty more from will, Fergie, apl and Taboo leading up to the November 30, release of the Peas’ sixth full-length, The Beginning.
Written by richard on 10/24/10
Submit your Rating
A&M/ Will.I.Am Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boom Boom Pow" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.