I must admit that when it comes to hip-hop, I can be one of those “pretentious” critics who wince whenever I hear rappers trying to do the pop thing. When I listen to the Black Eyed Peas however, I don’t just hear a stereotypical pop record, I hear a group that has themselves heavily influenced what pop music sounds like now, and always keep evolving. The Peas’ new record, Do It Like This, is a prime example. Much like their previous smash Imma Be, will.i.am’s production starts off with elements of old school hip-hop mixed with some classic video game influenced instrumentation, with Fergie making a 10 second appearance while Will spits some simple yet clever lines over the “obscene” beat. It then shifts into glow stick territory, with Taboo and apl.de.ap sending the energy even higher in insanely catchy fashion. BEP will be releasing one song per week until the release of their new album, The Beginning, on November 30, and while I hope future releases are a bit more diverse, I can’t be mad at this crossover hit.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 11/17/10
Submit your Rating
A&M/ Will.I.Am Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boom Boom Pow" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.