A buzzmaking production crew composed of Japanese-American teens Umi Takahashi and Yoko Watanabe, BenZel make their inaugural appearance in The DJBooth with a freshly-minted promotional single. On Semi Detached, the group showcase their talent for subtle mood-setting, crafting a beat that builds ever so slowly from a spare piano progression to a lush, yet ethereal alt-R&B groove. Singer/songwriter Cass Lowe, a DJBooth newcomer, handles vocal duties throughout the cut, which also boasts guest bars from an unusually subdued Chance the Rapper. Though unattached to any larger project, this low-key banger is sure to leave progressive-minded pop lovers hungry for more. If you fall into that category, you can keep it locked for more fresh tunes from this promising beat duo, as well as the latest from Chance and Lowe.
Written by richard on 04/9/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.