Particularly for those who sat through the D.A.R.E. program back in elementary school, the sentence “Say No to Drugs” is less likely to leave listeners excited for a dope song than to provoke reflexive yawns and/or eye-rolls. As it turns out, though, the title of Benny Cassette‘s latest single is just a clever piece of reverse psychology on the part of the Los Angeles-based singer and producer, who I’m guessing has said “yes” to narcotics at least a few times in his life. The drug Cassette is trying—and failing—to steer clear of on this cut is actually a certain woman, whose seductive qualities he compares to cocaine, PCP and other addictive substances. Project collaborator Chuck Inglish (of Cool Kids fame) produces the joint, blending elements of hip-hop, soul, rock rock and pop to back his partner’s lust-soaked bars. For this moody, alluring jam and much more, check out the duo’s Angel Dust EP when it hits the ‘net next Tuesday, October 30. Additionally, watch the Booth for further details on the Inglish’s solo debut,Convertibles, scheduled to drop before the year’s out.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view the Pōstas-directed Say No to Drugs visual.
Written by richard on 10/24/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.