BenniB‘s first feature, I Won’t Crash, found the up-and-comer adapting the parable of the Prodigal Son for the modern age, demonstrating how a young man’s determination to live for today almost left him without a tomorrow. Don’t get it twisted, though - despite his suspicion of the fast life, the Seattle representative does know how to have a good time. In fact, judging by new promo single Start Me Up (making its world premiere right here in the DJBooth), the Seattle rhymesayer’s inner party animal was just waiting for its chance to get out. Cleveland beat crew The Kickdrums live dangerously on the production tip, flipping a sample from The Rolling Stones’ 1981 smash of the same title into a raucous backdrop for Benni’s chronicles of weed and liquor-fueled revelry. Throughout his verses, the rhymesayer manages to name-drop a veritable Greatest Hits collection of Stones classics—if you catch all 11 song/album titles (without recourse to Wikipedia), consider yourself a rock scholar. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can hear more on debut mixtape Journal of a Journey, released last November.
Written by richard on 03/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Won't Crash" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.