BenniB‘s first feature, I Won’t Crash, found the up-and-comer adapting the parable of the Prodigal Son for the modern age, demonstrating how a young man’s determination to live for today almost left him without a tomorrow. Don’t get it twisted, though - despite his suspicion of the fast life, the Seattle representative does know how to have a good time. In fact, judging by new promo single Start Me Up (making its world premiere right here in the DJBooth), the Seattle rhymesayer’s inner party animal was just waiting for its chance to get out. Cleveland beat crew The Kickdrums live dangerously on the production tip, flipping a sample from The Rolling Stones’ 1981 smash of the same title into a raucous backdrop for Benni’s chronicles of weed and liquor-fueled revelry. Throughout his verses, the rhymesayer manages to name-drop a veritable Greatest Hits collection of Stones classics—if you catch all 11 song/album titles (without recourse to Wikipedia), consider yourself a rock scholar. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can hear more on debut mixtape Journal of a Journey, released last November.
Written by richard on 03/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Won't Crash" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.