While the perils of living exclusively for the the moment are well-known, every addict to the fast life tells him or herself, “I Won’t Crash” until the other shoe inevitably drops. Booth newcomer BenniB knows what I’m talking about. On the current single off his debut street album, the Seattle up-and-comer offers a modern spin on the Biblical story of the Prodigal Son, recounting how a young man’s lack of direction sent him careening (both literally and figuratively) into the jaws of danger. With Matt Gibson‘s piano-led production as his backdrop, Benni paints a lyrical portrait of a listless weed-smoker with a grudge against responsibility, authority and—especially—his parents. High on the euphoric effects of free will, he quits his job, gathers up his worldly possessions and strikes out on the road. His hubris, however, soon brings him face-to-face with his mortality. Does he make it out alive? Guess you’ll have to listen and find out. It’s not often you hear a rapper extolling the virtues of humility and respect for authority, but heads looking for a new perspective will doubtless appreciate what BenniB brings to the table. If you’re feeling it, there’s plenty more where this came from on Journal of a Journey, available online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Start Me Up" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.