While the perils of living exclusively for the the moment are well-known, every addict to the fast life tells him or herself, “I Won’t Crash” until the other shoe inevitably drops. Booth newcomer BenniB knows what I’m talking about. On the current single off his debut street album, the Seattle up-and-comer offers a modern spin on the Biblical story of the Prodigal Son, recounting how a young man’s lack of direction sent him careening (both literally and figuratively) into the jaws of danger. With Matt Gibson‘s piano-led production as his backdrop, Benni paints a lyrical portrait of a listless weed-smoker with a grudge against responsibility, authority and—especially—his parents. High on the euphoric effects of free will, he quits his job, gathers up his worldly possessions and strikes out on the road. His hubris, however, soon brings him face-to-face with his mortality. Does he make it out alive? Guess you’ll have to listen and find out. It’s not often you hear a rapper extolling the virtues of humility and respect for authority, but heads looking for a new perspective will doubtless appreciate what BenniB brings to the table. If you’re feeling it, there’s plenty more where this came from on Journal of a Journey, available online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 01/18/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Start Me Up" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.