And now for something completely different. While we pause on certain days to remember specific events in history, some can be felt and seen every day through the eyes of our acquaintances, friends and family. This week marks an opportunity to reflect on one of the most tragic experiences the world has seen, Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day), the official Israeli commemoration of the six million Jews lost to Nazi Germany during WWII. In honor of this holiday, Brooklyn emcee Bekay has released Remember, a record that shows true storytelling in hip-hop has not been lost. Backed by production from France’s DJ Dbefekt, Bekay tells the tale of a single family during the Holocaust and the events that they had to experience. We give you plenty of music to enjoy, but this is music to truly make you think. So take a minute this week to honor the loved ones lost and realize the blessings that each one of us has today. If you enjoyed this ode, be sure to keep it locked for more from Bekay, including Remember’s upcoming video, here at the DJBooth.
Written by Sigurd on 05/5/11
Deer Studio Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn Bridge" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.