Straight outta the Windy City, the Beatmonstas are here to remind us that hip-hop’s much more than just Beats N Rhymes; as Booth newcomers Therapy, Noble Dru and Phashara demonstrate on this newly-leaked LP cut, the genre is also a window into the streets and a vital channel for sociopolitical criticism. Kicked off with a jarring (but definitely attention-grabbing) vocal sample from blaxploitation film Boss N*gger, the track finds the former Columbia College students delivering shotgun-bursts of revolutionary rhetoric over Dru’s staccato-brass boardwork, mixing fiery commentary on race, foreign policy, and economic issues with sinister lyrical imagery and… did I just catch a Bohemian Grove reference? Sure to get heads bobbing and minds thinking (as well as, perhaps, raising a few eyebrows), this cut is a banging introduction to a trio with plenty to say. For more politically-charged rhymes and beats informed by the Golden Age greats (the ‘monstas cite Pete Rock and A Tribe Called Quest as major influences), check out the group’s Bomb Til’ We Hit Em LP, set to drop on the 22nd.
Written by richard on 09/8/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.