Straight outta the Windy City, the Beatmonstas are here to remind us that hip-hop’s much more than just Beats N Rhymes; as Booth newcomers Therapy, Noble Dru and Phashara demonstrate on this newly-leaked LP cut, the genre is also a window into the streets and a vital channel for sociopolitical criticism. Kicked off with a jarring (but definitely attention-grabbing) vocal sample from blaxploitation film Boss N*gger, the track finds the former Columbia College students delivering shotgun-bursts of revolutionary rhetoric over Dru’s staccato-brass boardwork, mixing fiery commentary on race, foreign policy, and economic issues with sinister lyrical imagery and… did I just catch a Bohemian Grove reference? Sure to get heads bobbing and minds thinking (as well as, perhaps, raising a few eyebrows), this cut is a banging introduction to a trio with plenty to say. For more politically-charged rhymes and beats informed by the Golden Age greats (the ‘monstas cite Pete Rock and A Tribe Called Quest as major influences), check out the group’s Bomb Til’ We Hit Em LP, set to drop on the 22nd.
Listen to More: Beatmonstas Written by richard
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.