Roughly three decades after the Beastie Boys first hit the scene Adam Yauch, Mike D and MCA are still having more fun than just about anyone else in the game. Not only do they continue to pull stunts that other rappers couldn’t even conceive of – including streaming their new album live via boombox last Friday at Madison Square Garden – they’re still making music that sounds like nothing else under the sun. Album standout Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win is no exception to the rule. As on previously-released cut Tadlock’s Glasses the Beasties filter their famous flows through layers of distortion, letting the heavy reverb wash over them as they lace a hazy ska/dub instrumental with a mix of social commentary (“Twenty years of school, and then they put you on the day shift.”) and oddball imagery (“You’re like clams with no tartar sauce.”). Santigold assists on the guest tip, lending her studio-tweaked vocals to the chorus and middle verse as well as contributing a few ambient animal noises throughout (at least I think that’s her). For more innovative new material from the legendary trio, check out Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2, when it hits stores next Tuesday, May 3.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Many Rappers" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)