Roughly three decades after the Beastie Boys first hit the scene Adam Yauch, Mike D and MCA are still having more fun than just about anyone else in the game. Not only do they continue to pull stunts that other rappers couldn’t even conceive of – including streaming their new album live via boombox last Friday at Madison Square Garden – they’re still making music that sounds like nothing else under the sun. Album standout Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win is no exception to the rule. As on previously-released cut Tadlock’s Glasses the Beasties filter their famous flows through layers of distortion, letting the heavy reverb wash over them as they lace a hazy ska/dub instrumental with a mix of social commentary (“Twenty years of school, and then they put you on the day shift.”) and oddball imagery (“You’re like clams with no tartar sauce.”). Santigold assists on the guest tip, lending her studio-tweaked vocals to the chorus and middle verse as well as contributing a few ambient animal noises throughout (at least I think that’s her). For more innovative new material from the legendary trio, check out Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2, when it hits stores next Tuesday, May 3.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Many Rappers" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.