Roughly three decades after the Beastie Boys first hit the scene Adam Yauch, Mike D and MCA are still having more fun than just about anyone else in the game. Not only do they continue to pull stunts that other rappers couldn’t even conceive of – including streaming their new album live via boombox last Friday at Madison Square Garden – they’re still making music that sounds like nothing else under the sun. Album standout Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win is no exception to the rule. As on previously-released cut Tadlock’s Glasses the Beasties filter their famous flows through layers of distortion, letting the heavy reverb wash over them as they lace a hazy ska/dub instrumental with a mix of social commentary (“Twenty years of school, and then they put you on the day shift.”) and oddball imagery (“You’re like clams with no tartar sauce.”). Santigold assists on the guest tip, lending her studio-tweaked vocals to the chorus and middle verse as well as contributing a few ambient animal noises throughout (at least I think that’s her). For more innovative new material from the legendary trio, check out Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2, when it hits stores next Tuesday, May 3.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Many Rappers" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.