Given that The Alchemist and Budgie‘s forthcoming collaborative set is titled The Good Book and packaged as an ersatz Bible, it’s only right that the music inside comes from a deep, spiritual place. It just so happens that BAU Music‘s spirituality heavily involves ‘70s yacht-rock hitmaker Michael McDonald. On With My Soul, Budgie builds a fiery, brass-laced beat around the Doobie Brother’s vocals, borrowing the sample from a gospel joint I was unable to identify. Their mic-rocking guests are a bit less pious. Action Bronson is first to flow, beginning his 16 with a question we’ve all asked ourselves, at one time or another: “What if Allen Iverson was Chinese riding on a Harley?” Aston Matthews and J. Rocc contribute similarly off-the-wall, pop-referential bars to the record’s latter two-thirds. Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to pre-order The Good Book starting April 4, in anticipation of its release on the 11th.
Written by richard on 03/11/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Heaven's Home" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.