Given that The Alchemist and Budgie‘s forthcoming collaborative set is titled The Good Book and packaged as an ersatz Bible, it’s only right that the music inside comes from a deep, spiritual place. It just so happens that BAU Music‘s spirituality heavily involves ‘70s yacht-rock hitmaker Michael McDonald. On With My Soul, Budgie builds a fiery, brass-laced beat around the Doobie Brother’s vocals, borrowing the sample from a gospel joint I was unable to identify. Their mic-rocking guests are a bit less pious. Action Bronson is first to flow, beginning his 16 with a question we’ve all asked ourselves, at one time or another: “What if Allen Iverson was Chinese riding on a Harley?” Aston Matthews and J. Rocc contribute similarly off-the-wall, pop-referential bars to the record’s latter two-thirds. Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to pre-order The Good Book starting April 4, in anticipation of its release on the 11th.
Written by richard on 03/11/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Heaven's Home" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.