You seldom listen to a conscious record and feel the need to dance. Sure, there may have been some head-nodding records here and there, but can you really imagine yourself dancing to Talib Kweli’s Get By? Occasionally, though, you do get that rarity. Ladies and gentlemen, today we have that record courtesy of Los Angeles emcee Bambu, via Box’d Up. With funky production and additional vocals provided by Sabzi, Bambu shines some light on currently incarcerated friends and acquaintances, reminding them to keep their heads up. The song plays out in the form a letter, as Bambu speaks to the listener as if speaking to a friend locked up, while also discussing the injustices of the prison system. At the end of it all, Bambu provides both a positive and head-nodding record for you to jam to on your lazy Sunday. His forthcoming release, the hilariously titled Inglewood Humperdink, is due out spring 2012.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Queen Is Dead" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.