In the title line of my favorite track off Public Enemy’s It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Chuck D boasts, “I’m even lethal when I’m unarmed / ‘Cause I’m louder than a bomb.” More of a traditionalist, Bambu acknowledges that the sword (or the AK) can be an effective attention-getter when the pen (or mic) alone doesn’t work. On new single Boom, the Los Angeles emcee reminds us that revolutionary rhetoric must be paired with the readiness to act, spitting, “When you say it in a song, it ain’t nearly quite as strong / As when you say the same thing with a rifle in your arm.” Joining the headliner over Jake One‘s head-noddable production (featuring a sample from Da Lench Mob’s Guerillas in the Mist on the back), Booth fave Thurz lends his vocals to the record’s hook. Featuring this cut, past singles Rent Money and Sermon, and more, ...One Rifle Per Family is available now on iTunes. Additionally, fans in New York, Philly, San Diego and L.A. can catch Bambu performing live on the last four stops in his Rent Money Tour, going down November 15 - 18.
Written by richard on 11/14/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Queen Is Dead" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.