If the title of Balance‘s latest feature has you humming the Rick James-inspired bassline from U Can’t Touch This, then stop! Hammer Time has absolutely nothing to do with Stanley Burrell or his 1990 hit, so it’s best to approach it with fresh ears. His first Booth feature since April 2012’s Head Snap Back, this promo cut sees the Bay Area representative celebrating his rising status and tough-talking his foes in confident, conversational verses. Masked producer Zorro provides a beat worthy of a laid-back street banger, layering airy vocal samples over a leisurely rhythm section. Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to find Hammer Time and much more on Balance’s We All in 2 tape, dropping digitally July 1. While you wait, why not check out the artist’s guest contribution to Greenspan‘s fall-2013 single, Day at a Time?
Written by richard on 02/25/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bootleg Liquor" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)